Friday, January 6, 2012

Books

Growing up I hated books. I'm not kidding! I never liked reading, in school we always had to read something so I would. But honestly I don't really remember most of the books I read. But I can't stress enough how much I hated books! I especially hated when the teachers would make me read out loud. I always hated being called on, especially when I didn't know the answer. But teachers tend to call on you when you least expect it.

The reason I hated reading was simple, TV was better. I also had a hard time keeping track of characters in the story. So stories with a large cast of people I really hated because I could never keep track of them all. When a book would also describe a location or a character, I had the hardest time imagining what the author was describing. So basically all the characters from a book, I imagined as stick figures.

But a few years back, in the summer of 2009 I decided to read a book for fun. The book I chose was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone! I decided to read it right after seeing the sixth movie, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I have been a huge fan of the movies but I never bothered to read the books. The size of the books was enough to just make you want to give up reading. (not that I read anything anyway.) So I decided to read the first book, three days later I was done! I had never finished a book that fast in my life! But I couldn't understand why I enjoyed the book so much. Then it hit me, I already new the story, I knew what it was about, and how it would end. But more importantly, I didn't have to imagine any of the characters based on the books description, because I had already seen them in the movie. I used the actors appearance throughout the book. I knew what Harry looked like so it was easier to imagine him flying around on his broom or just sitting in a class room.

It's a strange thing but this is how I read all 7 books. I just pictured the actors from the movies, and the sets from the films to enjoy the books! It took me a whole year to read all 7 books because at the time I was in college and for those of you who have never been to college hears a heads up, you have to do a lot of reading!!! Not just reading but also re-reading and taking notes, and lots of studying. So now I enjoy reading a little more but not more than TV!

Does anyone else do this? Or is it just me.
Until next time. .....David

No comments:

Post a Comment